The roots of gamification started out from with the concept of ‘funware’. Gabe Zicherman coined this concept at 2008 and defined it as ‘the art and science of turning your customer‘s everyday interactions into games that serve your business purposes' (Zichermann& Linder, 2010).
Actually, in the second half of 2010, within the video game and digital media industry, the new term ‘Gamification’ was popularized by several industry players.
Gabe Zichermann (2010) defines gamification as ‘the process of using game thinking and game mechanics to engage audiences and solve problems’.
Another definition of gamification is "the use of game design elements in non-game contexts" (Deterding et al, 2011, p.1).
The key point of the term ‘Gamification’ is that it aggregates elements of game-playing (game design, game mechanics, game dynamics and game aesthetics) in a non-game context. Towards this, applying gamification to education implies use of game-playing elements in such a way that it will engage students in the learning process and motivate them to strive for excellence.
|Game Design||Game Mechanics||Game Dynamics||Game Aesthetics|
Seven design principles of games that
|Constructs of rules and techniques:
||Some of the most indicative desires and motivations are:
||The desirable emotional responses evoked in the player while he interacts with the game
|Priebatsch and Chatfield (2010)||Bunchball.Com (2010, 10)||Bunchball.Com (2010, 10)||(Hunicke, LeBlanc, Zubek, 2004)|
- Bunchball.Com (2010, 10), Gamification 101:An Introduction to the Use of Game Dynamics to Influence Behavior. Retrieved June 2011: http://goo.gl/FIh56
- Chatfield Tom (Ted talk 2010), 7 ways games reward the brain, Ted talk 2010 , Retrieved June 2011: http://goo.gl/3uCr
- Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., & Nacke, L. (2011). From game design elements to gamefulness: Defining "Gamification". Proceedings from MindTrek '11. Tampere, Finland: ACM.
- Hunicke, R., LeBlanc M., Zubek, R. (2004), MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research. Retrieved June 2011: http://goo.gl/HcDoQ
- Priebatsch Seth (Ted talk 2010), The game layer on top of the world, Retrieved June 2011: http://goo.gl/97cQ
- Zichermann, G. and Linder, J. (2010). Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2010.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/486212.cloudwaysapps.com/bmcahnqrrr/public_html/templates/gk_events/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 236